RTC Vision and Plans
The basic intent of the RTC and its trail plans are to enhance the quality of life for the people who live, work, and visit the Endless Mountains Region of Northeast Pennsylvania.
- provide free recreational opportunities with healthy benefits
- protect the Lackawanna River and Starrucca Creek corridor
- provide river access for fishing, nature study, and kayaking
- stimulate economic development: retain and attract businesses, stimulate new business
- increase property values by making communities more desirable
- increase recreational and heritage tourism
- preserve and highlight the early transportation routes of anthracite coal
- provide routes for alternative transportation to work, school, or town
- provide a site for special activities as benefit runs, biking clinics, etc.
- reestablish the links between small towns that once thrived with railroad activities
- help build community partnerships
- provide environmental benefits by protecting natural resources and habitats
- provide educational opportunities both historical and environmental
- connect to the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
Imagine Over 100 Miles Of Trails…
Stroll, run, cycle, cross-country ski, horseback ride, snowmobile, or walk the dog.
Free of car traffic, safe for people of all ages and physical abilities to enjoy the outdoors.
Spend time with your mate, children, grandchildren, visiting friends and relatives.
Stop along the trail to eat at an area restaurant, browse through a local artisan's shop or antique store, spend the night at a local inn.
Meander through pristine woods, past scenic overlooks, rivers, streams, lakes and villages.
A showcase for the natural beauty of Northeastern Pennsylvania; a habitat for birds and animals; a means to control surface runoff and erosion, thereby protecting adjacent streams.
Relive the history of the railroads: Erie, Delaware & Hudson, New York, Ontario and Western, and the Montrose Branch of the Delaware, Lehigh and Western.
A proud legacy to hand to future generations.
Kirk Newsom, President
Elliot Ross, Vice President
Bernard McGurl, Vice President
Craig Benson, Secretary
Jim Brownlow, Treasurer
The North East Pennsylvania Rail-Trails Council Board of Directors
Lynn M. Conrad, Executive Director
Carissa Butler, Program Manager
Sheryl Brownlow, Administrative Assistant